The internet is rife with stories about low libido, which means low sex drive. As you probably know, this situation is not without adverse effect on one’s lifestyle. Needless to mention how happy homes get ruined as a result of low libido in either partner. You should seek immediate help once you notice the symptoms. And if you’ve ever wondered how you can increase your libido naturally, there are African Foods that can help.
What African Foods can increase low libido?
There are a variety of African foods that help boost one’s libido. Avocadoes, spinach, watermelon, eggs, tiger nuts, banana, ginger, and garden eggs – are some of these foods.
By continuing to read, you would learn more about African Foods that increase low libido as well as other facts about the subject. Let’s begin!
10 African Foods that Increase Low Libido
So, what are the African foods that can increase libido?
The following African foods can increase libido in male and females:
This green vegetable contains magnesium and zinc, which doesn’t just help with improving sex hormone, but also the production of sperm in men. Serve your spinach with any starchy food.
Eggs are a great source of protein. They’re rich in vitamin B5 and B6, which helps in balancing hormone levels. However, it shouldn’t be consumed in excess because it can reduce blood flow. You can enjoy your egg with whole wheat bread.
If you ever plan on preparing pepper soup, make sure to add this nutrient-rich, Omega 3 fatty acid, fish. It’s great for boosting sex.
This is a powerhouse of protein and zinc. It’s an excellent meal for men because it keeps sperms healthy and can alter sex drive.
This popular fruit isn’t just low in calories, but it also helps in boosting libido through a phytonutrient called citrulline. This helps in muscle relaxation. If you want to treat yourself to a nice bowl or salad, watermelons are a great addition.
Oysters have high doses of zinc that make them suitable for boosting libido. Also, the presence of omega 3-fatty acid helps improve sperm count in men and erection too. Enjoy your oysters with any soup you wish to prepare, or use it as an addition to other foods that increase libido.
In South Africa, the seed of this vegetable is sown in cooler regions from late February to early May in warmer areas. And South Africa is one of the few African countries that actually make use of this vegetable in their salad, and unknown to most, broccoli is actually a great libido booster.
If your low libido is caused by something minor, you can use pepper, especially hot ones, to boost your sex drive. The release of endorphins increases the blood flow to essential areas.
Also known as garden eggs, eggplants are rich in mineral, vitamin and antioxidant content. And these nutrients help in testosterone and progesterone level. You can use eggplants in your stew.
Avocado is an excellent addition to your breakfast or dinner due to the energy it supplies the body. It’s loaded with minerals, vitamin B6, and monounsaturated fats that improve sex drive.
What Causes Low Libido in Males and Females?
- Low testosterone is one of the most common causes, especially when a man ages. The usual range of testosterone in males is around 270-1070 ng/dL (nanograms (ng) per deciliter (dL). The healthiest men usually have testosterone levels around 400-600 ng/dL, so having below 300 -350 ng/dL isn’t a good sign.
- Illness weakens the body both physically and emotionally, especially if it takes a while to heal (chronic illness), and it can interfere with neurological, hormonal, and vascular functions.
- Medications used in treating your illness can affect your libido. Blood pressure medications, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and so on can cause low libido. Sometimes reducing the dosage or stopping the intake of a drug can improve your libido. However, you should first consult your doctor.
- Stress is also a factor to consider. It triggers the cortisol hormone, which constricts blood vessels and can affect your testosterone level. Some several snacks and foods increase libido through the release of dopamine.
- Depression decreases sex drive. You can handle your depression through psychotherapy or the use of medication. But first, seek medical advice on this issue.
- Menopause usually affects libido negatively. When estrogen and testosterone levels drop, it will be hard to get aroused. Also, while this is a common occurrence, it’s not always the case with some women.
- Testosterone levels usually peak around the mid-twenties and then declines until menopause. Normal testosterone levels in females range from 15 to 70 ng/dL. Anything below 15 ng/dL isn’t a good sign.
- Medications like oral contraceptives, SSRIs, blood pressure drugs, and so on can affect your libido level. This is usually through the reduction of testosterone levels or impairing blood flow.
- Relationship issues, especially interpersonal ones like emotional satisfaction in a relationship, sexual performance of partner, childbirth, and so on, can also cause low libido.
- Illness can also affect your level of libido as a female. Conditions like thyroid, fibroids, endometriosis, and so on can cause low libido.
- Stress is also a determinant in the case of low libido, just like the males. Fast foods that increase libido, in this case, are dark chocolates and so on.
ALSO READ: 10 African Foods that Increase Breast Milk
How Can I Check my Libido?
Checking your libido requires the help of a doctor to carry out some tests. During the test, your physician can:
- Examine your pelvic – this examination is for females. Signs of physical changes that might be causing your low desire for sex are checked, such as the places that trigger pain in your body.
- Recommended testing, such as blood test – to check your hormone levels and also other issues like diabetes, liver disorders, thyroid problems, and high cholesterol.
- A sex therapist can also evaluate the emotional condition of your relationships to find out if it might be causing low sex drive or not.
- You can also try out this test.
What Food Can Increase Male Libido?
Generally, research has it that the following foods can help boost sex drive in males:
Pine nuts – This has been used in love potions for centuries due to the high zinc it provides. This nutrient is known to improve the sexual desire of those having low libido.
Oats – Research conducted at the San Francisco Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality discovered that within eight weeks, men’s libido improved through the increase of testosterone in the bloodstream by consuming oats.
Oysters – Consuming oysters boost dopamine, a hormone that helps to increase libido. Besides, it’s rich in zinc, which also helps in producing testosterone.
Olive oil – It influences testosterone increase and helps in improving your libido and bringing back your sexual urge.
ALSO READ: 9 African Foods That Increase Sperm Count
What Food Can Increase a Woman’s Libido?
The following foods can help improve a woman’s libido (the foods can be consumed raw or added to meals):
Papaya – Can be added to other meals. It is estrogenic and can significantly increase libido in women.
Dark chocolate – Can be eaten as a snack. Dark chocolate helps increase the dopamine level that affects the center pleasure of the brain. If your low libido is caused by stress, then dark chocolate is worth trying out.
Cereals – This fortified food is great for boosting your libido. The vitamin D nutrient in cereals helps a great deal.
Garlic – This is used as an ingredient in foods, and it’s beneficial in stimulating the circulation of blood flow – due to the presence of allicin. Garlic has a strong smell, so it’s preferable to take it in moderation.
Now that you know some of the African foods that can increase your libido, you’re perhaps wondering how to eat these foods, correct? You can easily add them to your meals, find out what food requires the foods mentioned above as ingredients for preparation and try to add them to your meals frequently. You can also decide to consume them without adding to your meals. Eggplants, avocadoes, etc., can be eaten raw.
Keep in mind that excess intake might be harmful. Therefore, you should consume the foods in moderation. You can decide to eat twice or thrice a week. Whichever way, ensure you’re not overeating.